SailNet Community - View Single Post - hunter 460 vs. 466
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013

Carib saior is on a distinguished road
Re: hunter 460 vs. 466

Congratulations stoomy! I went to the OC 40 site and saw the great photos. She is lucky since you mentioned you built a wooden kayak...you apparently hold the skills to revitalize a wooden sail yacht. We have owned two wooden boats and love them all. One was a broads cruiser we cruised quite a lot in England and the other was an Italian 16' marine ply on frame race boat with a little cabin we sailed in Greece. I used to read Wooden Boat and did many projects to set myself up for owning and maintaining wooden boats. We got serious in 96 and bought our first real boat and moved aboard and have lived, worked and cruised aboard ever since. 16 years aboard sailing a total of about 8,000 miles in those years between Key West and Grenada. Along that road, I have learned some people--such as anyone with over 400 posts on this forum--spend a lot of time behind a keyboard and might not really know what they are talking about. True, I am critical of Benneteaus...as I am of Hunter...or anything I will go out on the sea in. But I would own a Benneteau and not just disregard the entire line of yachts they build as unworthy or unsightly. I imagine I will hear something back. But right now, I am on the south coast of Puerto Rico having sailed into Ponce and I have other things to do. I just happened across the origingal quesion about the 460 and wanted to put my qualified information out there to answer that question for anyone else who was wondering.

I am sure you enjoyed the holding tank removal. In about 98, I helped a friend pull one out of his boat. It was leaking at the weld. They were all built of aluminum back then and we had to use a recriprocating saw to cut it so we could fold it in on itself to get it out. When we cut it open there were some clear, fluid filled sacks hanging from the top that looked like they might be alive. Thankfully, they didn't hatch and we got the thing to the bin without getting too dirty.

Again, lovely boat you bought and I am sure she will serve you well. Don't forget to crack some champaigne on her.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook