SailNet Community - View Single Post - docks on ICW
Thread: docks on ICW
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: docks on ICW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
To be sure this debate doesn't get off track, the references to the homeowner showing up with a gun are hyperbole (exaggerated statements or claims to make a point, but not meant to be taken literally).

The point remains, most homeowners would be upset to find a squatter on their personal dock and no one is aware of a law that permits it. If you had an emergency, tied up and walked up the yard to explain and ask permission, I'm sure most would be fine with it for the night.
I don't know about that, I would not make that assumption in Florida as they seem to revel in their sand your ground statue. You certainly would not want to have a bag of skittles in your hands.

I think that even if the "law" were to allow it, it is using someone elses property and permission should be granted. Funny how protective people get about there property even though they knew it would have people traveling along it when they bought it. I have never felt that way, and around here we have the Appalachian Trail, and I have some friends who live on the trail, and one thinks it is great to get to meet and talk to all the people walking along the trail and has a permanent structure set up with water so they can stop and clean themselves up and get a drink. I bet she invitees someone in for dinner two or three times a week. Granted she is a bit of a lonely old lady. While someone else I know is bothered by all the people walking through "her backyard" even though they knew about it before buying the house.

We had a trail head next to our old house and had lots of folks walking by. Never ended up with someone using our facilities, but frequently had people walking buy and waving hello. The 4 wheelers and motor cycles were a bit annoying but oh well, even though they were not allowed on the trail. They were gone soon enough.

So I guess it takes all kinds.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook