SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hello Everyone!
Thread: Hello Everyone!
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013

DonScribner is on a distinguished road
Re: Hello Everyone!

Hi Beth,

Welcome to the asylum. Get out there as much as you can but keep an eye on the weather and an ear to the radio. I'll try not to despise you too much as I'm pulling 18" of snow off my boat with a roof rake. What? Never heard of a roof rake?

I am not a UCSGA member nor do I play one on TV but I, too, highly recommend it! There are idiots a-plenty out there so knowing how to, where to and when too could mean the difference between scowling at the guy who came a little close and a sad, sad day for your survivors. Many see the water as an open field and they have a ski-do. In actuality, the bay is more like a municipal parking lot with lanes, rules and police. Ever hear of a boat that has the "right-of-way". Doesn't exist, not on the water. If Florida is anything like Maine, anybody that can turn a key can drive a boat. No training, no permit, just gas enough to get the out-drive out of the water. To put his into perspective, the first time I sailed is the first time I passed the jetty and "shanked" (I Know, I know). But, a USCAG course and mega hours of studying gave me enough head knowledge to live through my voluminous mistakes. Gave me a few stories too if you wanted to search my other posts.

Fair Winds,

Don
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook