SailNet Community - View Single Post - Changing Oil - an easier way?
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road
Re: Changing Oil - an easier way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tspooner View Post
As I wait for brighter and warmer days I've begun pre-season maintenance and upgrades to my boat. My Yanmar 2GM sits very low in her bilge and although I'm sure there is a drain plug in the oil pan there is no way to locate a container under the pan to contain the drained oil. The boat came with a manual vacuum pump where you insert a tiny (about 3/16") hose through the dipstick hole and stroke for an eternity. I'm never satisfied that I got all the old oil out as the drain hose is quite stiff with a perpetual curl in it and I doubt that the end of it ever really touches the bottom of the pan. Other than draining the oil directly into the bilge and pumping it from there does anyone have any suggestions for a more efficient and cleaner method to extract the used oil. There's gotta be a better way!
I replaced the installed brass hand pump on my Atomic 4 (which worked but one needed a hundred strokes or so for an oil change) for a permanently installed electric pum. Now changing the oil means pushing a button and seeing the oil being pumped into the container.

But of course you still want to warm it up.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook