SailNet Community - View Single Post - BVI budget
Thread: BVI budget
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013

NVCATS is on a distinguished road
Re: BVI budget

We just returned for a 26 day charter with Seabbatical and had a great time. we provisioned ourselves after pondering extensively if we should use the pre order service the stores offer, which works out to $30PP for just food. We actually started saving money even before we landed at Beef Island Airport. We arranged a car rental with DEDE Car rental 3days for $119 and he was waiting for us when the plane landed at 8pm (remember to drive on the left hand side). We chose to take the sleep aboard option instead of a hotel usually $150 a nite for the boat, we got it for free Ron the Manager is a great guy. So we saved on taxi from the airport and driving around town to self provision pretty much paid for the car and then some. Part of our group arrived the next day so we also picked them up and saved another $40 cab ride. We returned the car after 2 days and headed out. On with Provisioning... protein is crazy expensive and not very nice in the BVI so we packed a cooler with our protein at home and with 5lbs of dry ice, all was still rock solid when we got to the boat. You can carry up to 40lbs of meat into the BVI. Duties were $15 on a $300 invoice. We went to Riteway to provision fresh and dry foods and spent $700 and were able to buy what was on sale, which you can't do it you pre-provision. Booze was from Tico and pre-ordered but we picked it up and added a few other fun bottles total was $500. We shopped in Virgin Gorda at Bucksin the marina half way through our 26 day charter and spent another $400. Local lamb is very cheap and very nice local beef is also very nice and affordable, so don't be shy buy local. Boat extra costs... I personally don't like mooring balls since they can fail and you will never know till it is to late and their very noisy at night sometimes. They don't make anchoring easy in a few places with the number of balls but I am persistent and worked through it. I did use moorings at Saba Rock so we could get free water and a bag of Ice and did the same in Leverek bay to do laundry and fill up water and get ice again on the second trip to North sound. All in all we were only 4 people on our Seabbatical Leopard 45 and provisioning was $25 PP including Drink. Here is another tip... what to mix the booze with... I took a lot of green tea bags with me and made sun tea mixed with raspberry tea. Fruit juice and pop is just 2 expensive $1.50 a can and sweet for us serious drinkers red strip beer is the best value and is Gordons Vodka. Watch the wine we had a lot of corking issues with the cheap stuff -$10... the better wines +$12 were ok You can get Ginger beer to mix with beer to make different tastes..remember we were out there for 26days everything gets a little old as time goes on.

Last edited by NVCATS; 01-09-2013 at 03:14 PM. Reason: added more
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook