SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: Full or fin keel?

A friend of mine with a Catalina 30 regularly points out the good points of his boat or the bad point of mine, how some particular thing just does't work or is wrong....he does this with tools and all sort sorts things...and in every case he is right....my boat does not fit HIS application it is completely wrong for HIM.....my boat is completely right for ME though. (same goes for the tools too). A fin keel boat is without a doubt the best design...for some people, while a full keel is the best design for others (and a horse and buggy or motor home or house in the suburbs are best for someone else). Because different people have different needs and wants you can't say which is best there. Also because of the huge variety of boats that fall under each category you can not compare performance (it's sort of like comparing US designed cars to European designed cars, taking the Chevette as an example of US and the Lotus as an example of European).;
To sum it all up the ideal boat for one person might be totally wrong for another.

Last edited by wolfenzee; 01-09-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook