Thread: New York Ferry
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: New York Ferry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
This was the Atlantic Higlands, NJ to Wall Street ferry and NOT the Staten Island Ferry which has made news before. Apparently this particular ferry has also been in previous accidents.
The linked article says that it may have been traveling close to 12 - 14 knots when it hit the pier. The pier they use is at the bottom of the East River which has a substantial current. I'm going to guess that if they shifted into reverse then the tranny did not engage.
New York City ferry crash leaves 85 injured - CNN.com

Gives added emphasis to the old saying: "Always approach the dock at the speed with which you intend to hit it."
The AH Ferry (Seastreak) is one of the fast ferries too. I dont think it front unloads and docks up the East river at Wall St and 35 St. We have seen them many times when we travel up the East River

Quote:
Gives added emphasis to the old saying: "Always approach the dock at the speed with which you intend to hit it
The current where they dock is fierce sometimes hitting 5-6 knots so there is no comming up to the dock slowly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook