SailNet Community - View Single Post - Blue Jacket 40 (new racer/cruiser)
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013

BryceGTX is on a distinguished road
Re: Blue Jacket 40 (new racer/cruiser)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Not understanding why the Catalina 400 has a smaller LWL than the First 40 even if the overall hull length is slightly smaller (12.24m to 12.34m) is not understanding why modern hulls have a much bigger LWL. It has to do with bows much more vertical and with transoms finishing almost at the water line.

The hull of the Catalina 400 is an old one since the MkII has the same hull as the MKI and even so is already slightly better in what regards LWL than the even older hull from the Catalina 42 even if that one was a LOA 42cms bigger, that has a LWL of 36' 0" when you claim the 400 has 36' 6".
Paulo
Since our boat is on the hard for winter storage, this morning I went to our boat and measured the LWL. I dropped plumb bobs from the water mark at the bow and then at the stern. I measured the distance between the two points as 38 feet. That just about 11.6 m.

The way I see it, the Catalina specification of 36.5 feet is a dry weight. Loaded down, the actual LWL is longer. Sounds to me that Catalina is right on the mark with its LWL.

Perhaps somtimes you need to actually go look at these boats out of the water rather simply look at pictures from the web.. it will give you a biit different perspective.
Bryce

Last edited by BryceGTX; 01-10-2013 at 03:24 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook