SailNet Community - View Single Post - overwhelmed w/ electrical
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: overwhelmed w/ electrical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon123 View Post
In response to the people that are saying "Throw everything away and start over." It's certainly an option and there is nothing wrong with it, with that said not all of us want to create a showpiece.
It is not about creating a show piece, it is about safety. Lots of people don't treat boat electrics with the respect it deserves and thus 55% of all boat fires are electrical in nature....

To me this one statement by the OP could mean bad things for anything electrical:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradway5 View Post
My project boat is a 1978 islander 32. It took in some water during a prolong storage on the hard. I want to redo all the connection, all of them are crimped and show a little corrosion.

With bare copper wire and, "all of them", showing corrosion this can mean badly compromised wiring.

Very often ripping it out and starting fresh is less expensive over the long run. Boats of this vintage were often not wired "safely" to begin with, part of the reason perhaps for the 55% of boat fires being electrical in nature. This is especially true if an AC system installed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 01-10-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook