SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lake Norman
Thread: Lake Norman
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013

puddlejockey is on a distinguished road
Re: Lake Norman

Good Info, kd; and you're "spot on" about the prices on the lake. Although housing has come down significantly and there are deals to be had; an 800K home on the market is a great deal at 625k...but only if you're in the market for a 600K home!

It's one of the reasons that I was able to "nudge" my executive leadership (wife) into buying a weekender and getting a wet slip. Its actually cheaper, and in many ways more convenient, to wet slip your boat and live 5 or 10 miles off the water. Its pretty simple supply and demand. There are a few Neighborhoods on the water that haven't fallen victim to the McMansion craze of the past 6 years, though.

I WAS shocked at how many sailboats are in the marinas that look neglected/ abused/ and or abandoned by their owners; I'd guess 10-20% of the sailboats in each marina look that way, depending on the marina. Some of those boats have lines so pretty it could make a sensitive sailor cry.

Bio or Manhattan, any info on sailing conditions specifically more towards the 150 Bridge?
It looks like the lake is still a mile or 2 wide, but with all the shoals and my lack of sailing experience, I'm not sure if that translates to sailing room.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook