SailNet Community - View Single Post - overwhelmed w/ electrical
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road
Re: overwhelmed w/ electrical

Look guys, I'm not trying to be the wiring Nazi. But I have spent my entire adult life working on circuitry. I only want to prevent avoidable pain, and I know what I know because I had those lessons beaten into me the hard way. The OP is having electrical issues and he isn't strong electrically. Is he the guy who wants to be crawling around at sea with a flashlight in his teeth and a meter in his hand, trying to figure out why his breakers / fuses are popping or why his Nav lights won't come on when he's offshore and it's dark?

Butt splices are quick, cheap and easy. I get it. That's why they are sold everywhere- just like every other half-assed quick, cheap and easy solution. Would I put a heli-coil in a stripped out bolt hole on a diesel? Sure, if I didn't know how to fix it properly or there was no realistic alternative. Would you pay someone to do that? Why not? Heli-coil kits are sold everywhere, just like JB Weld and butt splices. All of which can last forever under the right conditions. But if you are trying to do the work properly, once and for all, is that how you'd do it? Would you pay me to do those things on your boat?

Last edited by ShoalFinder; 01-10-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook