SailNet Community - View Single Post - ipad as instrumentation...
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: ipad as instrumentation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Ipads just cost too much, I mean I get it - they are in fact better tablets than most 'droid based tablets - but...

For 200 bucks I can throw a Kindle Fire down on my nav station/salon table. That Fire, or any 7 inch or bigger tablet is a complete remote for the e7d - right down to the rotary control and the touch screen.
When networked properly I can see everything from fuel/water tank levels to oil pressure and rpm's of the engine.
I can see wind, true, apparent, vectors and polar's. Checking leeway for current, tide sets and drifts etc. is a snap.
I can also read hundreds of books from multiple sources including library's along the way, browse etc..just like a "I".
And in a year or two, I can either throw it away or give it away - and buy another one and still only have spent half what a pad costs.
Yes, I agree, but I would choose the Nexus 7 at 200 as it has built in GPS as well, but you know how it is a "moving target" kind of thing. The big advantage I see of the apple products are accessories, you have the life case that is supposed to be waterproof (well at least very water resistant) and the best I have found for Android is the Otter Box and that case is bulky and not really very well made and definitely not water resistant. At least it was not too expensive. The holster on my otter box broke, and I sent an email, and they sent 2 replacements that also broke all within 2 months. And I am not hard on my equipment. (had my original droid for 3 years and still looked almost new)

But you can buy several androids for the price of one i device.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook