SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking for a Catalina 320, 34 mark ii or 309
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for a Catalina 320, 34 mark ii or 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
Are you dead set on the age and model (Mk II) of a C34? There are a few older 34s around in the New England area that look to be in pretty good shape. I just bought an '86 this fall, it's in good shape just needs a few things here and there. I expect it to keep me sailing happily for many years to come.
What he said- if you can find one in good shape, don't worry too much about the age as much as how well it has been taken care of. We have had sailboats made out of fiberglass since the 1950's and have yet come to the useful end of life on a fiberglass hull. So I would take a well maintained older boat long before a neglected newer one. A boat can become a money pit in 12 years if not maintained well. Also in 12 years lots of electronics are outdated/worn out. So look for a boat that has been well maintained and updated along the way.

Also I would not fixate on one model of boat, there are lots of others in the same price range such as Beneteau, Hunter and others as well that are just as good for the sound.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook