SailNet Community - View Single Post - overwhelmed w/ electrical
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: overwhelmed w/ electrical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle38 View Post
That doesn't make any sense at all. Butt splices use the exact same method of connection to the wire as ring terminals, therefore, their failure mode will be the exact same, failure of the crimp.
BINGO!!! I had lost failth in "common sense" you helped!!

Actually read my post above you'd you see that the solid copper tube or a butt splice is actually a better method than a seamed terminal. If I could buy non-seam yellow, red & blue ring terminals I would in a heart beat but the don't exist except in battery lugs.

Quote:
Actually, using two crimp on ring terminals bolted together introduces a third failure mode,
Again BINGO!!! You now have a "connection" that instead of two terminations now has THREE....

Quote:
You still have the two crimps on the two wire ends, exactly the same types of crimps you would have on a butt connector.
OMG the common sense just keeps rolling...

Quote:
I see no reason why a properly done butt splice would be any less reliable than a properly done splice using two crimp on ring terminals and a small bolt.
SF apparently has a very strong "bias" he picked up somewhere, perhaps the navy, that is simply not based in anything other than a bias.. Again PROPERLY made butt splices are as good or better than any other crimped termination...

BTW I have YET to see a builder of sailboats who did not have some butt splices on a new boat. All the way from Morris to Island Packet to Sabre to Catalina and everyone in-between used butt splices. Bilge pumps? WEMA fuel senders? Macerators? The list of devices that make use of butts a necessity for builders is pretty extensive. In-line fuse holders? Nah, who needs those.......

The first person who can name me one US sailboat builder, with factory installed AC & DC systems, who has never used a butt splice, and can back it up, I will send you a 10 pack of FTZ adhesive lined butt splices for free.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 01-10-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook