View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Carbon fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutoyz View Post
I couldn't resist jumping in here...
Do you actually get a good tone from a CF instrument? I have heard tone differences in amplified instruments because of the wood used and of course drastic changes in tone on acoustic instruments.
A cello is such a warm and vocal instrument is it possible to get a good tone from synthetic chambers?

I am not a classical musician so pardon my ignorance
Actually this is a very good question.
A CF 'cello is not the equivalent of a wooden 'cello. This is kind of akin to a question like: "Which boat is better, a 1998 Beneteau 27' or a 1967 Tartan 27'?"
They are different animals with trade offs and compromises.

Wooden 'cellos can have very subtle warm sounds. CF 'cellos can have a more steely, big sound.

It turns out that many professionals ('cellists) own both a nice wooden instrument AND a CF instrument. The CF instrument is the one to use when playing outdoors as even humidity and rain will not affect the tuning or finish. A wooden 'cello (usually quite expensive too) could easily be damaged just from spending several hours in a very hot and humid environment. High humidity also makes a wooden instrument go out of tune often and unpredictably.

In short, they each have their strong (and weak) points but the sound and timbre of CF is surprisingly good and uniform.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook