SailNet Community - View Single Post - overwhelmed w/ electrical
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road
Re: overwhelmed w/ electrical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
SF apparently has a very strong "bias" he picked up somewhere, perhaps the navy, that is simply not based in anything other than a bias.. Again PROPERLY made butt

BTW I have YET to see ONE builder of sailboats who did not have some butt splices on a new boat. All the way from Morris to Island Packet to Catalina and everyone in-between. Bilge pumps? WEMA fuel senders? The list of devices that make use of butts a necessity for builders is pretty extensive. In-line fuse holders? Nah, who needs those.......

If someone can name me one US sailboat builder who has never used a butt splice I will send you a 10 pack of FTZ adhesive lined butt splices for free.

You are right. Much of it is bias, and much of it is the codes I have had to meet. I haven't spent twenty years working on personal watercraft and digging wells on the farm.

We can disagree without the venom, don't you think?

As to the rampant use of butt splices by sailboat manufacturers, well that doesn't really prove anything does it? We are talking about the same guys who drill screws in a weatherdeck without bedding them.

I'm happy that you are happy with butt splices. I see them as a necessary evil. A butt splice on a new install? That is criminal on somebody's part. Actually, it's just cheaping out, but I repeat myself.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook