SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need a Bahamas Cruise Itinerary
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Re: Need a Bahamas Cruise Itinerary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post
Bahamas in the summer. As a local, I am not sure you can do the Abacos without Rush, Rush Rush. You can leave from Ft Lauderdale and ride the GS to Memory Rock and than cut over as others have suggested. In your 34' boat your average speed might be 5kts. There is always an east wind. You will motor almost your entire way there. The east wind will be light too. So sailing back home would iffy at best too. So a good strong motor is a must as well as tankage. Next is the heat issue. 90's during the day and low 80's during the night.
GS crossing for the most part is not a problem during the summer because we rarely get a cold front and north winds. Winds are usually light throughout most of the summer like I said. One can spend 9 days in Bimini and have a good time. There is a ferry service now from Miami for guest to arrive. There is good fishing and snorkeling especially the southern islands of Bimini. Check-in is painless in Bimini. Bluewater Marina even has the forms for you to fill out. Don't forget Bimini bread at the store down the street from customs.
I guess a 9 day itinerary for Bimini it will be...