SailNet Community - View Single Post - overwhelmed w/ electrical
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: overwhelmed w/ electrical

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoalFinder View Post
I'm very happy you have had good luck with them.
Why would I not? Can you please expound on the scientific termination differnces between a ring terminal, spade terminal, friction fit and bullet vs the butt splice. Please tell us why this crimp juncture is inferior to the others. We want the scientific explanation please...

[/QUOTE]

Quote:
We obviously come from two different worlds,
I live on Earth and you do and we're both sailors....

Quote:
so I won't take offense to your obvious swipes at me.
And I won't take offense to the fact that you called every US boat builder, myself, folks like Nigel Calder, the ABYC, NMMA, and every other competent person or organization on the subject grossly incompetent and "not qualified"..

Quote:
If one of my electricians or technicians ever used a butt splice in any vessel or any factory- they would be shown the door on the spot. Gross incompetence. It's the equivalent of a mechanic using pliars to tighten a bolt, or a carpenter beating in nails with a crescent wrench. That person is simply not qualified to work here, wherever "here" may be.
Quote:
In my entire professional experience, using butt splices would be incomprehensible.
On solid copper wire the use of any crimp fitting should be incomprehensible. On shore the vast majority of wire is solid copper to which you simply don't crimp.

For multi-stranded wire, again, please give us the scientific differences between the crimp juncture of a butt vs. every other crimp terminal and why the butt is more failure prone or the "Devil".

Quote:
But standards are standards.
Speaking of standards can you please show us the source for the Mil-Specs that show a butt splice is "verboten"..?

I have the crimp testing Mil-Spec MIL-T-XXXX (I'll let you find it), the NASA crimping spec and USCAR crimping specs as well the ABYC specs. I know what they say and what they don't say.

Please show us where the Mil-Specs prohibits butt splices and why a butt splice is any less of a splice than a ring/fork etc. and then we can have a good discussion...

Quote:
You operate in the world in which you live. My early years were spent in in environments where you would be fired for being in possession of an adjustable wrench.
Well if anyone fired me for doing they'd they'd have a damn tough time in court backing up their grounds for termination. I'd win hands down with a wrongful termination case. Why? Because there is nothing to support your paranoia of butt splices being inferior to any other crimp.

Please bring us the science that shows butts are inferior to rings or forks or any other crimp terminal so we can discuss this without any biases and just the data.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook