SailNet Community - View Single Post - Partially filling a void
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013

jarcher is on a distinguished road
Partially filling a void

Hi All...

The traveler on my boat is bolted down to the cockpit, through a section of fiberglass (sort of). This is hard to describe, but the bolts pass through two layers of plastic with a void about half an inch or so between them. So, when I tighten the bolts, the plastic deflects and its not as sturdy or leak proof as I would like.

So, I want to fill the void with epoxy, but the void is much too big to be completely filled. I am trying to figure out how to get an epoxy plug in there and then re-drill it, kind of like if I was adding a bolt through a balsa core.

Of course, if it was cored, I would hollow out some of the core around the hole and fill with epoxy. But there is no core.

The only thing I can think is maybe use some minimally expanding foam, as is sold at Home depot for insulation. Maybe inject some int here, let it harden, then hollow it out and fill with epoxy? I am thinking the foam will absorb the epoxy though.

Thoughts or ideas?

Thanks...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook