Thread: San Juan 24
View Single Post
post #13 of Old 01-11-2013
bobmcgov
baDumbumbum

Re: San Juan 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
You'd have to be very good to put an SJ24 on a trailer in an hour or two. It would take that long to get the rig down if you didn't have a crane.
Sloop: IIRC, the SJ24 has a deck-stepped mast with hinged base plate, right? It's a fairly lightweight spar & only 3-4' longer than the rig on our SJ21, which I can walk up with one hand. It's usually ten minutes from hitting the parking lot to mast-up on our boat, Then another twenty minutes sorting out the lines.

The OP's real difficulty is going to be finding an affordable trailer and ramp-launching something like this:

But as I understand it, the PNW has lots of deep-draft boats: decent ramps, high tides, and an unusual number of owner-operated boat hoists. Tho probably not on the West side of the Island. The OP could maybe sail the boat there? A long sail, but an interesting one. There are also a few transporters with hydraulic trailers than can haul across the Island, including this guy:

Keel Hauling
Mostly About Boats: BOAT RESCUE PART 2: THE MOVE.

Don't be too horrified when you see the price estimate, tho -- professional hauling is not a thing I'd care to do seasonally! & A crane operator on site will ding you $500/hr.

It's a tricky thing. I'd not want to sail the West Coast of the Island on a swing-keel boat. Not personally. But a full-keeler certainly complicates overland transport. Still, people do it all the time, so it's not untenable.

Buccaneer18, Grainnia
SJ21, Diarmuid
Albin Ballad 30, Fionn
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome