SailNet Community - View Single Post - Retractable Bowsprit DIY
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Re: Retractable Bowsprit DIY

A few posters mentioned using the spin pole instead of bothering with a sprit, and that has been mentioned recently on SA as well, but I just don't understand how the tack of the sail is attached to the end of the pole, how the pole is kept from rising up (tweakers? downhaul?), and how it would be jibed. Could someone explain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel H. View Post
Wow, that would be trick.
Though on my Cat. 27, if you draw a line parallel to the centerline, between the stem fitting and the foreword pulpit rail stanchion, there isn't a lot of cross-section there. So I don't think I can get much more swing to starboard, presuming I mount it on the port side, than it will take just to get it to intersect the C/L of the boat at a decent projection. That was one reason the teardrop cross-section of the spar, I have, seemed so "ready made".
Thanks for the thought James.
Next time I'm down at the yard I'll check that possibility out.
Cheers for now,
Joel H.
Haha that would be pretty cool, mini-650 style! I guess using a spin pole would allow you to create the same effect for some deeper angles downwind...

Just out of curiosity, what kind of angles can one expect from a typical/basic cruising spinnaker tacked to the bow pulpit on an older boat like the op's? Can they be used for light wind beam reaching or even hotter?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook