SailNet Community - View Single Post - Financing
Thread: Financing
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Financing

Strange, until 2 years ago we lived aboard our boat financed through USAA and it was built in 1975. Then again, I saw the boat insurance market change from competitive bids on my boat to nothing but dial-tones in 2 years.

With insurance, if you say one thing, and they find out you ended up doing another thing, they don't pay. With loans, once they write the loan, they've written the loan, period.

I'd say that you don't really meet the criteria of living aboard. Get the loan from USAA with the intent not to live aboard and spend a little time aboard over the next six months. Fill in the blanks as they need to be filled out and don't look back. Have they REALLY defined living aboard? In a calendar year, including the time you spend at work, away from the boat, will you be on the boat for more or less than 50% of the year? Is 50% even a reasonable definition of living aboard?

Some friends I have spend more time at work or out about town than in their own houses on an hour by hour basis. What exactly counts as living aboard anyway and are you sure you meet the criteria?

Banks would use lawyers to argue the point if it came to that, so it behooves you to think like a lawyer yourself sometimes. (feels slimy I know, but then again banks, loans, and all that associated stuff is pretty slimy)

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MedSailor; 01-12-2013 at 01:53 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook