SailNet Community - View Single Post - New in Narragansett Bay
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: New in Narragansett Bay

Congrats on the new boat!!

Not sure if you intend to sail through that one night? If not, I don't think you're going to find it doable in two long day sails in a 30 footer, especially if you sail. As you seem to know, you must time the canal current too. While you aren't required to check in with canal traffic control (forgot the official name), I suggest you call first anyway. Nice to know if there is a tanker coming the other way.

You may find that keeping your boat in Providence is a bit limiting. Lots of commercial traffic in the narrowest part of the Bay. It is also a loooong trip to open water from there. Even Block Island would take all day. If its an option, I would consider Greenwich or Warwick or Bristol, if not even further south. More options from there.

Happy to help with anything you need to know on the Bay or vicinity. Personally, we much prefer sailing destinations that are eastward from the Bay/Block, over LIS. Maybe its because I grew up boating on LIS and its old hat, but I do find a difference. However, explore them all !!

Don't hesitate to drop a PM to start a thread on anything I can help with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook