SailNet Community - View Single Post - Beating to windward
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Re: Beating to windward

That is true for the Chesapeake Bay region, also. The Bay runs North to South. The winds are predominately light and out of the South during the summer, due to the Bermuda high.

If you wish to travel up or down the Bay, you will most likely be beating or running, with the occasional reach coinciding with a frontal passage or offshore tropical depression.

Rarely, however, will the wind be directly on the nose. Usually, there is a long tack to sustain hope, that if you can just be lifted a little, just a little, you will make it past that shoal/point/navaid/hazard, etc., and won't have to tack again and again.

Just to show how fickle cruising is, on my Delmarva circumnavigation, on the day following my best daylight day's run of 74 n.m. in 12 hours, Cape May to Still Pond, I had my worse day's mileage, beating directly into a light wind, against a foul current, past Poole's Island in a narrow portion of the Northern Bay, making it only from Still Pond to Rock Hall. It was still a much better day than almost any work day.

Last edited by jameswilson29; 01-12-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook