View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Retractable Bowsprit DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel H. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29
If you were to design your own sprit, a great feature would be an articulating sprit with the sprit pivoting around the stem area and a curved track on the aft, so you could position it to the gunwale on either leeward side when flying the spinnaker, thus gaining additional valuable projection of the pole to windward.
Wow, that would be trick.
Though on my Cat. 27, if you draw a line parallel to the centerline, between the stem fitting and the foreword pulpit rail stanchion, there isn't a lot of cross-section there. So I don't think I can get much more swing to starboard, presuming I mount it on the port side, than it will take just to get it to intersect the C/L of the boat at a decent projection. That was one reason the teardrop cross-section of the spar, I have, seemed so "ready made".
Yeah, sounds cool in theory, but I just don't see how it's really practicable on anything other than a pure race/sport boat, with an absolute clear foredeck...

I had all I could do to configure using my spinnaker pole as a fixed sprit... With all the additional foredeck clutter found on many recreational boats - large mooring cleats, anchors on rollers, foredeck hatches, windlasses, tenders often stowed on foredecks, etc - it's just not gonna be possible on many boats...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook