SailNet Community - View Single Post - captains license
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: captains license

I don't know. Unless you plan to work as paid captain on a charter boat I don't see any reason to get the ticket. What you want is knowledge and an ASA offshore school is more hands on and much more informative of what you actually need to know. I took my six pack test 15 years ago, never sent in my paper, took off sailing. Then a few years later I decided I wanted my ticket so I took the class passed the test, never sent in my paper work. took off sailing, then a few years later I decided I wanted my ticket, took the class, passed the test got my ticket, Then I decide I wanted my 100 ton, took the calss passed the test and sent in my paper work, then I decided I wanted my able seaman,. da da da, then I decided to work the tugs and needed my stcw, tankerman, radar, commercial radio opertator, 200 ton master, mate aprentice mate steersman of tow, and on and on and on and you know what? None of it made me a better or more experienced sailor or navigator. Going out and doing it did. My 100 ton buddy said his ASA instructors course was harder than his captains test. There is this one ASA outfit that runs out of Ft.lauderdale or Miami that goes to the Bahamas for like a week or two, you'll learn more on that boat than some on line coasty prep class. The point is to be the most knowlegeable skipper for the safety of your family, not be employable credentialy.