Thread: Ceramic Knife
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Ceramic Knife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
I highly agree with dave. I dont think there is one perfect knife for all things, but here is what i carry on the boat:

Slicing large beef (roasts or prime ribs, etc): henckels twin 4 star 2. The knofe finely balanced (as are the shuns) and keeps a great edge.

Vegetable, utility, chef, pairing, and serated: Shuns. Anyone who has never used these knives will fail to appreciate some of the finest knives in the world. These knives are literally razor blade sharp out of the box. No kidding. They are perfectly balanced and very light whoch comes in great when you have a lot to do. If i had to pick one knife, Shun all the way. I tries all of them many tomes over. Ask dave and chef, they know. Corse, At close to a grand for a small set, they better be darn good.

For cuttig through chicken with bones, i often use my Wusthof. I have a full set but only use a couple regularly so the rest went into storage.

For chopping things like chopped brisket, i prefer a heavy knife. I actually came to like my Gunter Wilhelm for thia use. I do not care for any of their other knives. Too heavy and not balances good enough.
Prime rib on the boat, I know where I want to eat!!!

I am actually looking to get a Shun paring knife or possibly a Global. I have lots of Henkels, and have never really felt they get all that sharp and don't hold an edge all that long. I do like Wusthoff, and have a Gunter Wihelm that I got at a Beer tasting event that I love the weight of and it gets very sharp and holds it's edge for a long time. What a concept, all you can drink beer festival and there is a guy with a bunch of knives out and vegies for you to chop up. wonder someone did not loose a hand! I must admit it was more of an impulse buy, but I really like it. I also have a bunch of old Sabatier that I like. I am in the process of narrowing down the knives and have it down to about 5, but really want to get a good paring knife.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook