SailNet Community - View Single Post - Electic Bilge Pump Installation
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013

hillenme is on a distinguished road
Electic Bilge Pump Installation

I have a 1984 C&C 35-3. It currently has two maunal diaphram bilge pumps. One in the cockpit and one under the port settee. I have several questions regarding upgrading this system. First of all, will this require a new thru hull? Can an electic pump be installed through the same thru hull as the manual and preserve function of the manual one as a back-up? The main pump now runs from the keel sump through corrugated hose and probably 4' static head. From everything I've read this corrugated hose should difinitely be replaced with a smooth one. The previous (and only) owner seem to do fine with this set-up during 28 years on a mooring and raced at least 10 Chicago-Mac races with it - so I believe it's up to the task of my coastal crusing requirements, but I would prefer the ease and piece of mind of an electric pump. As I will also be on a mooring and am assuming this will draw between 6 and 8 amps so I'm also concerned about coming back to dead batteries after an extended period away from the boat. Thoughts and recommendations about how others have handled this??
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook