SailNet Community - View Single Post - Electic Bilge Pump Installation
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Electic Bilge Pump Installation

We both have the same boat although I dont think yours is a keel centerboard model. Is it a shallow bildge like ours?

1.We have a manual bilge pump connected to a strum box with smooth hose led back thru the engine comapartment beside the port engine bed side to a thru above the waterline, but below the transom on the port side.

2.In addition we have a rule electric pump with intergral switch...smooth hose led through the engine compartment on the starboard side of the engine bed. It originalyl emptied through the thru hull which served as the vapor releief for a second propane tank compartment. Because we have two propane tanks and use both compartments we installed another thru hull just for the bilge pump. The elctric pump is run to the battery bank. We also have a spare electric bilge pump as they are fairly cheap.

Because this is a critical systemp to dwater the boat I have two alternative methods in additon to the manual and elctric pump in the bilge.

3.The diaphram pump which serves as the sump pump for the shower pan and empties through a thru hull on the port side near the toe rail is one alternative. I put a T valve fitting in the line and attached 20 ft of easily coiled flexible clear plastic hose and coiled it up under the sink to use in an emegency where the bidge didnt work or water was comming in too fast. You simple tuen the valve from the shower pump to this coiled hose and bring the hose end out of the head and stick it in the bilge.

4.Lastly I installed a brass T Fitting in between the raw water intake pump and the thru hull for the raw water intake for the engine. This on our boats is almost directly under the engine. This screwed right into the thru hull fittting. One of the 'T" has a barb with a hose and goes directly to the raw water pump. The other opening of the "T" facing the salon I screwed in a plug. I have stored a 15 ft length of hose connected to a barb with a threaded fitting. If I needed to dewater the boat quickly as it had a huge hole, I would throw the lever on the stop **** to the intake of the outside water. Take out the plug, screw in the fitting connected to the hose and then turn the engine on and let the engine be the pump as it would draw the water in the boat though the raw water pump. This is also how I run antifreeze through the raw water side of my engine when I go to winterize at the end of the season. The hose pulls the antifreeze out of a bucket easily through the raw water cooling in the engine.

4 different independent ways to dewater the boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook