SailNet Community - View Single Post - Electic Bilge Pump Installation
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough
Re: Electic Bilge Pump Installation

In owing J24s going back to 1981 and electric pump was against class rules due to worries about moving water ballast

The only way for a J24 to leak is rainwater down the mast and in the worst it ever got after and epic rain/hurricane was about 8 gallons

Fast forward to 2012 i have a Cal 29 with two electric bilge pumps one in the low section of the bilge (its great having a boat with a real bilge ) on battery A

And one in a high section of the bilge on battery B which prevents the second pump from ever getting wet unless something really bad has happened

Both pumps go to separate above the waterline through hulls with anti-siphon loops and valves (because when the boats heeled over they go underwater )

I am somewhat still at a loss as to how boats leak other than rainwater down a keel stepped mast or a bit from from the shaft log

The only time my pump runs is from the ice box melting

I also have the large collection of manual pumps and buckets and in my experience your only going to keep up with a fairly minor event IF the two good size electric pumps both fail

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tommays; 01-13-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook