Thread: New York Ferry
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: New York Ferry

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyruffn View Post
The last time I saw one of those ferries (but only on radar) was a very foggy (and I really mean foggy) morning about 6 miles north of Atlantic Highlands. I was headed for the East River -- he was headed for Wall Street. He came by me at 32 knots (AIS said so) and all I saw was his wake.

It was so foggy that morning they had closed NY harbor and stopped all commercial traffic. We hadn't gotten the word and were proceeding very slowly towards our appointment with a positive current in the East River.

32 knots in weather where you can't see 100 feet!!! If that's the way they run a ferry line.....well, maybe it isn't so surprising they crash the dock every now and then.
Agree. They seem to be in a big hurry and not too concerned about the basic tenet of every rulebook that talks about maneuvering at a safe speed so as to be able to avoid collision. Apparently there are different rules for fast boats. I am very surprised that they have not yet killed a lot of people. Just a matter of time.