SailNet Community - View Single Post - Drinking water test kit suggestions?
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013

Jiminri is on a distinguished road
Drinking water test kit suggestions?

Are there affordable, simple, reliable test kits to determine whether the water on board is ok to drink?

I sail on the Chesapeake, mostly long weekends, and can take on enough water (86 gallons) from the marina's water supply (that I trust) to last for most of the trips I would take. The boat, however, was built in '86 and has the original aluminum water tanks and original plumbing.

PO, as called for by the manufacturers instructions, "shocked" the system with bleach each spring and then thoroughly rinsing the whole system by filling then draining the tanks multiple times. Still, he brought jugs of water on board for drinking---a practice I've continued.

I'm just wondering if I added something like a Pur water filter on the galley faucet, or filtered the water through a Brita, whether the water would be fine to drink and thus cut down the buying and lugging of gallon water jugs.

Which leads me back to my original question...any way to easily test the water quality to get a definitive answer?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook