SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another Yanmar Exhaust Mixing-Elbow Question
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013

BenMerc is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to BenMerc
Re: Another Yanmar Exhaust Mixing-Elbow Question

I have an even more basic question with a similar concern regarding an older yanmar single 12hp. I found a small leak , or what I thought was a leak coming from the water discharge line from the top of the head, clamped onto a ss inverted U pipe with a teflon double-screen threaded onto a 1/4" nipple at the top of the inverted U...The other line at the fore end of U pipe discharges into the vertical exhaust manifold...I am thinking this is some kind of after market vacuum lock prevention? I originally thought it was a pressure release valve, but after dis-assembly, it is not... water and or air may pass either direction. It is mounted at the upper rear of engine compartment, and appears to drip from the teflon screens ... Questions: Is this what i stated? (after market anti-vacuum lock etc.) if it is , should it be drip leaking ? At first I thought it was the lines, as they were sloppily installed and badly chaffed ( needed to be replaced anyhow) but my question also is, can I remove the teflon breather, add a flexible line and relocate the dripping to a more suitable location. ANY help with this would be great...thanks for any info ...

Last edited by BenMerc; 01-13-2013 at 01:38 PM. Reason: spelling / clarity
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook