Thread: Volvo MD 2B
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Volvo MD 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Didn't these also use a combination starter/alternator(generator)? I seem to recall hearing about issues with those...

Is this boat local, Jonathan?
I've heard about that strange DynaStart but this one has an alternator - you can see it above the flywheel in the pic.

The boat is in Tsehum harbour, on a mooring with the guy living on board. It's got the aft head layout I want and it was well built - probably professionally. It's just about the right degree of scruffy for me.

I spent a couple of hours in early December checking it out. The spars are in good shape and it has an alloy tube bowsprit, electric head - lots of good stuff. The deck sounded out well and so forth. It was on the market for about $15K last year in Nanaimo. This guy bought it and has lived on the mooring since - never taken it out.

It needs a head gasket on one cylinder which is why I was asking about the engine. The owner is too broke to fix it but has the gasket on hand. The Volvo place nearby does "housecalls" so I was thinking that spending the money to have them check it out and/or fix it, if the gasket really IS the only problem, would be well worth it - the guy is only asking $6K so risking a couple or 3 $hundred on spec to get the engine running might be worth it (on an accepted offer of course).

There's more to the story than this though - it isn't exactly a conventional sale situation so I'm being very cautious. I wrote it off in December for those reasons but he just re-listed it and piqued my interest again - it could just be a screaming deal. By way of comparison, my friend who built an early hull paid $11K just for the hull & deck mouldings in 1974. That was about 1 1/2 to 2 years pay in those days. Now the whole boat is only 1 months pay.

It's on Kijiji if you're curious.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook