Thread: Volvo MD 2B
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Volvo MD 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by klem View Post
The flywheel definitely helps with vibrations but it is still pretty noticeable.

If the headgasket is bad, there may be other problems related to that. Depending on how it blows, you get mixing of many different things. In a worst case, you could have coolant in your cylinder which could cause rust and potentially require major work. Also, you often end up with coolant in your oil which can be bad if it goes unnoticed.

And then there is the question of why the head gasket blew. It is possible that it deteriorated with age and cycles but that is a pretty uncommon problem as far as I know on these engines. It is likely that the gasket was weakened or the cylinder pressure got too high. The gasket could be weakened if the engine was running really hot. To get really high cylinder pressure on a naturally aspirated engine, you need a problem like improper timing or injection problems.

If it were me, I would want to get to the bottom of the head gasket issue and try to establish why it happened.
That's exactly why I asked and am being extra cautious. There is a bit of coolant in the oil - just enough to cloud it slightly, not a milkshake. I was concerned about a possible cracked casting or suchlike so I talked all this over with the tech at the Volvo shop and he said he doubted it was anything more than the gasket. His biggest concern seemed to be maintaining the integrity of the lower cylinder seal when removing the head.

Even if I had to buy a new crate engine the boat would not be overpriced but I just don't want to get in that deep anymore. Cleaning up "scruffy" and tailoring the boat to my tastes is as deep as I want to go, at least for the foreseeable future.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook