Thread: BVI budget
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: BVI budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVCATS View Post
...On with Provisioning... protein is crazy expensive and not very nice in the BVI so we packed a cooler with our protein at home and with 5lbs of dry ice, all was still rock solid when we got to the boat. You can carry up to 40lbs of meat into the BVI. Duties were $15 on a $300 invoice...
Interesting, I thought I had heard that bringing food across the border was (at worst) prohibited or (at least) risky. Are there clearly spelled out guidelines on a website somewhere?

As was pointed out elsewhere here, most of the charter boats had zero provisions on them, so we had to buy (and throw out) ketchup, mustard, salt, pepper, etc. We would have loved to bring garlic powder, curry, and some other herbs and spices that we use in small amounts and too expensive to throw away. And of course, if we could have pre-marinated and hard frozen some beef and chicken to bring across the border, that would have been great. But I always thought that agriculture inspections were required for any food imports, and too costly for anyone other than the bulk importers.

Is there a website somewhere that gives clear guidelines for importing food items into BVI?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook