SailNet Community - View Single Post - Southern Cross 28 seaworthiness vs Morgan 33
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013

Joesplace is on a distinguished road
Re: Southern Cross 28 seaworthiness vs Morgan 33

Thought I would chime in to let you know I went through the same dilemma. Years ago, my wife and I searched and tried every boat under 36 feet for a good pocket cruiser that could take us anywhere. We chartered many and sailed with friends but we kept looking the smaller because once friends shared their cost of a refit, smaller makes sense.

We sailed a Morgan for a weekend but was unimpressed. Guess I really didn’t like getting shoved around SF Bay by big following waves so that turned me towards a double ender and the Southern Cross series. We watched a sailboat 100 yards away get shoved towards the rocks and another wave put the spreaders in the water. From that day, we started the double ender search . . .

I read the Donna Lange and Pat Henry stories and was impressed so we started looking for a Southern Cross. It took us a year to find a SC28 on the west coast but for what we wanted and it required a lot of work. We started by removing the 12hp Universal diesel and replacing with a Beta 16. We added a new transmission, prop shaft, prop, control panel and all the wiring. After that, a new charging system, inverter, rigging (still cutter rigged), windlass, all lines aft, new sails, etc . . . it took us four years but we finished last year.

It was well worth the effort! She sails very well and turns heads everywhere. We took her out once in 35 knot winds with 18 foot seas and it was rough but she was balanced and handled great. We posted a picture headed south from SF Bay - look in the Cruising photos for “Monterey Bay Bound”.

Anyway, in short, we made the correct decision. We wanted a double ender and a smaller pocket cruiser that kept the budget down. Good luck . . .
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook