SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013

JamesClarke1128 is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

I am a young guy- I am 25, a recent college graduate, and have a decent sales job. I don't have an excess amount of money but I am not in debt over my neck, either. I live in Kentucky- there are plenty of places to sail within three hours of me, but I never knew that until I was actively looking to learn. I took ASA courses because I did not have other handy resources (aside from the library). And now, I don't have many outlets to get on the water. My peers don't participate. I don't have the financial ability to buy a boat. And, despite my knowledge of THEORY on sailing, I have less than 15 hours of experience and don't have a great way of rapidly increasing that. And to think, there are a lot of 20-somethings who would love to get involved....

"Living and dying in 3/4 time" -J.B.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook