SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013

hannah2 is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesClarke1128 View Post
I am a young guy- I am 25, a recent college graduate, and have a decent sales job. I don't have an excess amount of money but I am not in debt over my neck, either. I live in Kentucky- there are plenty of places to sail within three hours of me, but I never knew that until I was actively looking to learn. I took ASA courses because I did not have other handy resources (aside from the library). And now, I don't have many outlets to get on the water. My peers don't participate. I don't have the financial ability to buy a boat. And, despite my knowledge of THEORY on sailing, I have less than 15 hours of experience and don't have a great way of rapidly increasing that. And to think, there are a lot of 20-somethings who would love to get involved....
Hey James, See if you can get a job near the ocean if you really want to learn to sail. I like your need though, you are moving in the right direction. Maybe in a year we will give you a working ride from the Caribbean to the Canal you find your way to the Carib. and back from the Panama and the rest would be on us. If you really want to sail you will find a real way to do so and just about screw everything else.
Good Luck
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook