SailNet Community - View Single Post - BVI budget
Thread: BVI budget
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013

NVCATS is on a distinguished road
Re: BVI budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Interesting, I thought I had heard that bringing food across the border was (at worst) prohibited or (at least) risky. Are there clearly spelled out guidelines on a website somewhere?

As was pointed out elsewhere here, most of the charter boats had zero provisions on them, so we had to buy (and throw out) ketchup, mustard, salt, pepper, etc. We would have loved to bring garlic powder, curry, and some other herbs and spices that we use in small amounts and too expensive to throw away. And of course, if we could have pre-marinated and hard frozen some beef and chicken to bring across the border, that would have been great. But I always thought that agriculture inspections were required for any food imports, and too costly for anyone other than the bulk importers.

Is there a website somewhere that gives clear guidelines for importing food items into BVI?
British Virgin Islands Entry Requirements | BVI Tourism you must read it very carefully. They talk about hoof and mad cow then the statement you need to hear comes after that. I called the Dep of AG in the BVI to be sure the policy was as the site stated. Yes it is and we did have to pay duties on the declared value, they just asked what it was worth but we had the receipts none the less.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook