SailNet Community - View Single Post - San Juan 24
Thread: San Juan 24
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013
<-- best seat on the boat

jcwhite is on a distinguished road
Re: San Juan 24

Update: the seller sent me a stack of pictures from the inside, and it looks very well maintained. Like, surprisingly well maintained (and I'm reasonably sure that they're just some pictures that his fishing buddy had around, not ones that he's carefully made perfect by hiding all the faults). One thing - it doesn't look like there's a head in it at all. Is that standard, or might there be one under the V-berth? I like how open the boat is without having a full plywood wall between the V and the main cabin, but having no head at all would sure make overnight trips a bit more rustic.

He's also got the outboard that he was using on it - a 2006 4 horse 4 stroke that he'll add on for $800. I feel like that sort of engine would really only be useful for entering and exiting a marina, not for helping out if I get caught by weather or some other emergency OSM.

Finally, he's said himself that it's due for a bottom painting. On a 24 footer, if I do the brushing/spraying/whatever myself, how much should I expect that to set me back? Is that something that would add a couple hundred dollars and a few dry weekends to the boat, or would that be $500+ when all is said and done? As noted, it's already on the high side for that boat, and if there are too many add-ons it'll push it out of my ball-park.