SailNet Community - View Single Post - Overpropped; What to do?
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Overpropped; What to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by korn View Post
..Now, I read that you should be cruising around 80% of your max rated RPM, in this case 3600. So, my questions is; am I doing any damage by cruising at 1800 RPM? What specifically?
I'm not familiar with the specs of your motor, but suspect you mean that the max published rpm is 3600.

You can not check this at the dock in neutral. You should reach the max rpm with the throttle wide open and underway. Tachometers are notoriously inaccurate, but you should be within 100rpm or so. If you aren't, you are either over or under pitched.

Think of the pitch of your prop like the gears of a manual transmission in a car. If underpitched, its like running down the highway in 1st gear. If overpitched, its like going up hill in 5th gear. Both are bad for your motor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook