SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
If you take a carvel plank boat stick it in the water sail it for awhile then cover it with fiberglass to fix the problems you end up with "rot held together with glue". But if in building a strip plank boat you finish it off with fiberglass (as in the case of my boat), you end up with a boat that has the advantages of wood, with out the disadvantages and the advantages of fiberglass with out the disadvantages......plus some of it's own structural advantages. I had my boat out 2 years ago, went over it from stem to stern....sound as a rock (while I was at it I added 3 layers of epoxy barrier coat).
BTW, the second owner ground off all the polyester based fiberglass and replaced it with fiberglass using epoxy resin. I have seen quite a few piles of fiberglass coated rot in the yard here, all of them were boats that had fiberglass put on "after the fact", not as part of the building process.
True true, My good friend has a cold molded Spray replica, made out of plywood and coverd with glass that is a little brick sh!t house. Man, that dude that stripped the original poly off the planks is probably still itchy. I bet his arms still have a tingling in 'em as well. Love to see a pic. of your boat, sounds like a beaut.