Battered and Bruised
Join Date: Nov 2010
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 5
Re: Drinking water test kit suggestions?
We drink the tap water from our boat regularly. Maintaining free chlorine is all that is necessary for safe drinking water. A cheap package of chlorine test strips is all I use. Free chlorine in your system between 0.5 and 2.0 mg/L is safe to drink and will not have an unpleasant chlorine taste. There are a couple of caveats to this.
1) I drain the water system whenever it will be unused for a week or more
2) I always Keep our fill hose clean, secured when not in use, and regularly treat with chlorine, and it is used for no other purpose.
3) After I fill the water tank and treat the water I wait several hours before testing for residual chlorine, this gives time for the added chlorine to react with the system's metals and be taken up by the 'water demand'.
4) the less we use the water system, the more frequently I shock treat it with high levels of chlorine then flush.
A charcoal filter on the tap makes the water taste better but having residual chlorine ensures the water is safe.
If you decide to stick with bottled water for drinking I would suggest you read a bit about labeling practices and be careful to know what you are getting when you purchase "spring water' or "naturally filtered" water, they are not the same as "purified" water.
Happy (tummy bug free) sailing!
It's my happy pill
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.