Thread: No Sea Trial
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Re: No Sea Trial

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
...I want the broker to do my qualifying for me, not simply be a tour guide. I don't want a broker essentially lending out my boat once or twice a week to folks who
a) have no money
b) can't get financed
c) are looking for a boat like mine and want to try mine out to see if they like it

As a seller I want prospects to be qualified, so yeah, "skin in the game" is a requirement.
You know what they call brokers who can't control the process?
Former brokers.
I totally agree with you on pre-qualifying the buyer. Show me the money. If you intend to pay cash, show me a bank statement or investment account statement showing liquid assets. If you will finance, show me a pre-approval for a loan for a hypothetical purchase, or at least an application with credit pull.

As a seller, if a potential buyer shows me financial ability and a proposed sales contract, I will take the potential buyer out for a sail/sea trial without the deposit and scheduled survey. Tire kickers will not show financials. Money talks, bullsheet walks.

As a buyer, I passed up one boat I inspected with a broker who would not let me start the engine and another who was too busy to schedule me in. Others will treat you the way you allow them to. Stand up for yourself buyers.

Last edited by jameswilson29; 01-14-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook