SailNet Community - View Single Post - Comments from this week's BVI Charter
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Re: Comments from this week's BVI Charter

Wow you brought back some good memories of my only VI trip, a three-boat (C&C 42 cutters) charter 35 years ago out of Charlotte Amalie, out to Bitter End and all around Drake Channel.

We were five "adults" in our mid-20s chaperoning 19 prep school kids from Massachusetts on spring break. What a recipe for disaster. But it wasn't. The kids grew up and got along, learned to drink responsibly (Cruzan was $1.25 a fifth and they'd sell to you if you looked at least 12, so no-drinking just wasn't in the cards) and some actually learned how to sail.

I thought at the outset "boy, would this be great without the kids", but it ended up being more fun with them. When we pulled alongside another sloop to anchor at Bitter End, there were a couple of European lasses sunning themselves topless on the fwd deck. I waited for the boys to make idiots of themselves, but they were cool, and talked about it quietly rather than making yahoo noises. I couldn't've been prouder.

Some day I'd like to go back. Is Foxy's still there? And Tiny Snell's at Trellis?

Glad you enjoyed it, and good work matching sails to the strong breeze. I found that if you liked to actually beat to windward down there, you were a distinct minority ;-)

Last edited by nolatom; 01-14-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook