SailNet Community - View Single Post - Perkins 4-108 Fuel Injector Pump Leak
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013

Letrappes is on a distinguished road
Re: Perkins 4-108 Fuel Injector Pump Leak

It's been about two months since I originally posted about this. I was very hesitant to get into this project due to never having done any real work on a diesel other than changing oil and filters. So this weekend I finally got into it.

Due to the tight tolerances below the heat exchanger I had to pull it off in order to get at the fuel injector. I will never say anything nice about whoever designed the mounts for that system. There was just enough room to almost get a socket on the four bolts that mount it to the engine but not enough room to get your hand in there. I had to ask a friend to help and luckily she is 5'2" <100 lbs and has small hands that could get in there. It is absolutely crazy how that is mounted.

So after a few hours draining the system, pulling the heat exchanger off and figuring out how to take the throttle off the fuel injector pump I found the seal that was the problem. I took my time and was as clean as possible and managed to get the old seal scraped off the pieces. Putting the new seal back in and re-aligning the whole mess was another fun issue that I tackled the second day. Everything managed to go back together after a few more hours and it was time to start it up.

I ended up running the motor for a few hours and not a drop of diesel came out of the new seal and everything appears to be nice and tight. I'm going to see about getting my engine oil checked after I put a few more hours on it as I changed the oil at the same time. Hopefully for only $20 and maybe 10 hours of time I did what would have taken about the same time for me plus about $700 for a shop rebuild of the fuel injector pump.

I really have no clue as to hours on the engine. I purchased the boat with the reduced price of not knowing much about the engine and so far it appears to be solid other than the now fixed fuel leak and a few small oil leaks around the head. Those leaks will be a near future project.

Thanks for the help.

Scott
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook