SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cheoy Lee Offshore 28
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013

dwblueblue is on a distinguished road
Re: Cheoy Lee Offshore 28

I see this thread is pretty dated, and this comment will be of no help to the person who started this topic, asking for comments. However, I thought some comments about the Cheoy Lee Offshore 28 might be helpful to others. AND, I am curious what eventually happened with that "OS28."

We have owned our Offshore 28 since 2001 and have sailed her in light and heavy weather up and down the coast of Maine.

She is beamy (and roomy below) and therefore is not as fast as others, but she will move in light air and likes a breeze. She is a solid sailor. With a nice breeze she will settle into a groove and I can literally take my hand off the wheel and watch her sail herself; heading up a bit with a gust, then falling back into her groove.

We have done quite a bit of maintenance.

The large saloon (cabin) windows have leaked and been a challenge, but I think I have them fixed. They are, by the way, worth the hassle. We can sit at the table, rain or shine, and look directly out these windows, to watch everything happening around us.

I replaced all the closed ports with bronze ports and replaced teak veneer where damaged. When we first bought her, we discovered that the previous owner had run aground enough to expose the join between the keel and centerboard box. Six to eight layers of West System and glass later she was fine. The hull is solid glass.

Several years ago we removed the dull and crazing topside gelcoat, added a layer of glass and faired it with West then Interlux and finished with Perfection. We also did the cabin top. She now looks quite good.

The teak deck is "iffy," and I keep reglueing bungs that come loose. There may be a day when I have to... This year I am going to redrill some holes deeper and try that.

She is powered by a Yanmar 3GM30F and we can motor very comfortably and economically when we must.

Compass Rose turns heads and the varnished sitka mast, teak deck and trim, as they say, "looks good from the dock." She is a comfortable keel/c'board boat.

I would recommend her to anyone willing to varnish and keep up the maintenance.