SailNet Community - View Single Post - best way to mount Aluminium to steel underwater
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: best way to mount Aluminium to steel underwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgbrown View Post
I'm a bit curious, what is the purpose of the underwater lights for you? One thing I have noticed with most that the customers are usually underwhelmed with what they see in the water. They are more decorative than anything, sort of like the under car lights, while most people seem to expect them to act as big spotlights to see lots of fish etc, or functional that they could see the bottom.
Especially if there's any pollution in the water, or boats with swim grids on the back, it doesn't look anything like the photos in the ads.
The latest ones we're using are these: OceanLED - Colours TH HD
they are a lot brighter, bronze and use a much smaller hole, with a synthetic spacer for metal hulls, power hungry though.
What about surface mounting them? If it's just for goofing around at anchor, you could put a magnet on a nice waterproof bright light and stick it over the side and have a useful tool in the meantime.
This sounds like a good idea, as the synthetic spacer would have to be very thick to protect it as salt water will act as the conductor. The only problem is that most of these lights need the water for cooling, so it would not be much use out of the water. They can be useful to attract fish, and I imagine lots of insects. In most waters it is too cloudy to see anything, so useless. Might help for diving to clear a prop. With the exception to attracting fish, these always seemed like the under car lights, and coffee can mufflers on cars, all show and nothing for go.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook