SailNet Community - View Single Post - captains license
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: captains license

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfalk View Post
Hey thanks guys-- really helpful. So my takeaway from this is that the online course/6 pack etc is not what I need/want. I didn't realize that's really for people who want to commercially skipper/charter. I basically just want to officially "learn" the stuff that I've always just known from growing up cruising with the family etc. now that I've got a family of my own I want to be the safest most responsible sailor I can be and have my wife do the same. So I think those courses are probably overkill and perhaps i'll check out the CG auxiliary and ASA stuff since all I really want to do is learn- not get any kind of official ticket etc.

We keep the boat where I grew up in Annapolis- but live about 1:45h (ok so it's exactly 1:52h door to dock!) outside Philadelphia. So online is an attractive option given the travel issue.

thanks again for your input.

Brad

(Ches sailors- keep an eye out for "BAILA" C42!! Still have a sea trial/survey to go but looking good...).
Many of us sail around there. I grew up in Bryn Mawr and live in the Towson area now after living in Ocean City, NJ for over 18 years. We have a reala active Chesapeake Sailnet group and people like Wingnwing, Chuckles, T37chef, 4Arch, Swampcreek, Captain Riizo, MGMhead, Tranquilaity Base, Solare, DFerron,Brokesailor, Bubblehead, Palmettosailor, JSAronson, and others ( I know I forgot some) sail in areas close to you you may see on weekends. We are having a get together June 8 at the Maryland Yacht Club, about a 4 hour boat trip from Annapolis if you would like to come see this thread

2013 5th Annual Sailnet Chesapeake Rondevous- June 8, 2013

Sounds like you got a nice boat. I would suggest you find some time to get some offshore experience by crewing for others as well as maybe expanding you trip taking with your Cat 42 after your first years of getting to know her.
We travel up to the LI Sound and New England every year via Cape May and thats a great place to start to get some off shore experience.

Stay in touch.

dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook